I’ve reached a fairly significant milestone this week. All of the game’s items work now!
- Implemented (and tested) every single consumable item.
- Implemented (and tested) every single battle item.
- Created animations for applicable battle items (see above).
- Fixed a couple tiny item glitches.
Last week I mentioned that I was going to tackle things in this order: Items > Abilities > Enemies. Well, with items being complete, I guess I’m moving on to abilities!
Just to be clear: I’m actually already done configuring a lot in regards to abilities. Every move that Mitchell and ISAAC can use is complete, and so are any blue magic related attacks. In fact, all of the abilities technically work right now, they just need to be configured to say the proper flavour text. There is still a lot to do, I just want to emphasize that there is some groundwork in place already.
Note a lot of big news this week. I’ve been mainly bug-testing items, and getting items to work in the ways they were planned to. Unglamorous, but very necessary!
- Tested (and corrected) attack values and stat boosts for all weapons.
- Tested (and corrected) defense values and stat boosts for all armour.
- Began testing and implementation of curative item abilities.
Item bug-testing is slow, but pretty soon all the items in the game will be done and I’ll be able to move onto more interesting things. Items > Abilities > Enemies is the basic work-flow I’m aiming for.
I may start cutting back updates to once every two weeks, since there really isn’t a lot to show during this process. I also may bring back the Unearthed Almanac series, to show off interesting sections of the game’s world. It is a bit more interesting than the ordered lists that dominate posts such as this one.
Small update this week! I actually got quite a lot of work done, but it was just a lot of the same thing and therefore isn’t very exciting to talk about.
- Completed help text descriptions for every single item in the game.
- Modified some item properties for game balance reasons.
So, as seen above, we’re getting deep into the “writing stuff” portion of the game’s design. This is a fun bit of work, albeit a bit restrictive within the confines of a twenty year old game.
Up next? Well, first off I’m going to make sure all the items I’ve made work properly. Then I’m going to make sure that all the abilities that enemies use work properly as well. These are actually fairly similar processes, so they’ll bleed together a bit as I work on them. I’ll have another update for next Monday, but it’ll be fairly sparse since I’m heading on vacation soon.
Sorry for the lack of update last week! I got a little caught up with some extra-curricular activities, but I’m back on track now. I’ve been hard at work too, implementing weapons and armour into the game.
- Implemented all weapons and armour into the game.
- Completed help descriptions for the aforementioned weapons and armour.
- Re-balanced some item functionality.
With all the weapons and armour done, I’m moving along to the other items in the game. Most of the time thus far has been finagling help text, but from here on out a great deal of my time will be testing single-use items. There are about 150 items in the game – with about 75 of them being equipment – so I guess I’m about halfway through the dreaded “item slog” as of right now.
I’ll have another update next week with more item information!