An extension of last week’s endeavours, this week I put together some more multiple use items for Unearthed. My personal favourite is the Jar of Fireflies, a refillable item that allows Mitchell to release bugs that zap his enemies. Cool stuff!
- Implemented Jar of Fireflies item. Zap opponents with angry insects!
- Implemented First Aid Kit item. Multiple use healing!
- Implemented Pack of Gum item. Cures basic status ailments!
- Laid frameworks for item help descriptions.
- Updated listing of every item in the game!
Slow and steady progress seems to be the name of the game lately. I will continue the item/ability slog over the summer, and I hope to get to enemy creation in the fall. As more pieces fall into place, progress gets quicker, so I am optimistic about development!
If you’re a PK Hacker, you can check out a tutorial I made on the Starmen.net forums that outlines how to add multi-use items to your game. It is pretty straight forward, and includes some easy copy/paste code.
The coding for multiple use items is now done! This has been a long time coming, and I’m rather pleased with the results. Through the use of an item called a Staple Gun, I’ve demonstrated how this code can be used to give an item “charges” that can be diminished or replenished.
- Created working code for multiple-use items.
- Implemented Staple Gun and Pack of Staple items.
- Bug-tested event flag loops.
Special thanks to H.S. for laying the groundwork for this particular piece of functionality. He did some similar work for the Flamethrower in the Mother Remake project. There will be about 3-6 items in Unearthed that will use this functionality, which I’ll reveal as I make them.
This actually marks the end of most of the difficult combat coding. I’ll simply be slogging away at ability/item text for the next few months, and I’ll post progress updates when I have the chance.
A small but interesting update this week. Working with Messianic, I’ve finally finished the random text selector! This allows attacks to have multiple text outcomes! The video below shows off the finished product through Mitchell’s taunt ability.
- Implemented multi-outcome text descriptions.
- Debugged some random stuff.
- Implemented frame-works for multi-use items.
The random text selector is another thing I hope will make Unearthed stand out a bit from other EarthBound hacks. It is sometimes the subtle things that keeps players engaged.
I’m in the midst of the busy summer season, so the weekly updates likely won’t be as beefy as they were in the winter and spring. I’ll try to keep things on track though, and I’ll alert you folks to any major updates.
I’m back from vacation, and I’ve restarted my epic quest to complete Unearthed. Most of this week was spent re-integrating items and creating frameworks for description text. Fun!
- Created frameworks for item description text.
- Re-integrated items into Unearthed, with about 95% of them being functional at this time.
- Updated some items to account for name length and new battle actions.
- Updated asset lists to reflect recent developments.
I have a LOT of text editing ahead of me, and although that process takes a long time, it is not particularly difficult. Before I become fully immersed in that though, I have to sort out multi-use items and abilities. I’ve been meaning to get around to that for a while now!
Interesting side-note: I’ve done a few sprite recolours for the Mother Remake project. You can see some work-in-progress for the Pseudo Zombie up on my tweetz.